Music Talk Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Waking Up Dead

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:49 pm

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

Its at my college Millersville University of PA. Pretty much I'm expecting a few music majors bands. I just always feel really self conscious about our songs. So I just figured i'd ask you guys before we went out and got embarrassed. Also we got some more songs on the way.

27Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:14 am

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Lol music major bands, if they're like the ones at my school they'll write complex music for the sake of having complex music.

28Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Doomsayer

Doomsayer
Forum Badass
Forum Badass

Dude, do it...even if you don't win, so fucking what, and who know? Maybe you guys will leave with a few fans and possibly even sell some merch

29Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:07 pm

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

Our music majors are well. "Better than You" as they say. In reality they will write a song for the sake of saying I can write a song in 6/8 or something along those lines and there normally not to "amazing". I think i'm def gonna sign us up. My only fear is the usual fear of being told we're horrid but that hasnt happened in 15+ shows

30Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:37 am

debbie

debbie
Prime Minister
Prime Minister

Go for it!

31Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 am

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

xConcealerx wrote:In reality they will write a song for the sake of saying I can write a song in 6/8 or something along those lines and there normally not to "amazing".

Sounds like Dream Theater

32Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:28 pm

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

Yah i'm not a Dream Theater fan. I think more music is an expression and not something you right just to brag about.

33Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Doomsayer

Doomsayer
Forum Badass
Forum Badass

Dude, writing in any time is easier than it sounds, you just have to write around the measure, which is why bands like DT or The Faceless or even Tool end up sounding generic, because you can't really get a good flow going with an original riff if you're trying to focus it around a certain sig...

My idea behind writing has always been 'write the signature after I write my riff'...my riffs sometimes end up being some crazy shit like 7/13 (pretty sure we nailed one down like that) but I have a great skill in circling it around and making it fluid...it just ends up coming out that way...I think it's because I didn't have formal guitar lessons before, so my mind has always ran wild with riffs...

34Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Doomsayer wrote:Dude, writing in any time is easier than it sounds, you just have to write around the measure, which is why bands like DT or The Faceless or even Tool end up sounding generic, because you can't really get a good flow going with an original riff if you're trying to focus it around a certain sig...

My idea behind writing has always been 'write the signature after I write my riff'...my riffs sometimes end up being some crazy shit like 7/13 (pretty sure we nailed one down like that) but I have a great skill in circling it around and making it fluid...it just ends up coming out that way...I think it's because I didn't have formal guitar lessons before, so my mind has always ran wild with riffs...

The thing with Dream Theater is that they'll write a song that's difficult to play with several key and time signature changes as possible. Tool is strange because they were original when they first came out with Aenima, but as time went on and more bands copied them. They come off as sounding like all these bands that are ripping them off, the only difference between Aenima and Lateralus is that they incorporated weird time signatures and added some philosophical bullshit into their lyrics, though reading more and more of their shit sounds like it's all bullshit to get their retarded fanbase all riled up.

35Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:20 pm

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

Oh the joys of music lol

36Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:49 am

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

Well we played and lost Sad. Mostly due to the fact that the other bands their were hipster college kids with acoustics who brought 30 people with. We did good though Smile. Also we have some more songs up if you guys care to critique!

37Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 pm

debbie

debbie
Prime Minister
Prime Minister

Better luck next time though. Don't worry, same thing happened to me at a DJ competition. The local girl had way more supporters than me cause my so-called 'friends' didn't want to drive 30 mins to support me... I lost due to a lack of support, so yeah - I know the feeling.

38Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:37 am

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

Yah we got about 10 fans out of it and I had some peole ask me if I was in "that Waking up band" over the course of the weekend so I was quite happy.

39Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:18 am

debbie

debbie
Prime Minister
Prime Minister

Feeling like a celeb? Razz

40Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 am

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

Hey when people are buying you a shot or two it goes a long way to feeling cool on this lil college campus of mine

41Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:10 pm

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

https://www.facebook.com/wakingupdead?bookmark_t=page

Beating a dead horse guys I know, but in my time gone my bands been signed, rerecorded everything we've ever done and have a full album coming soon. I figured i'd throw this up and see how you guys like the new one. If you want to listen to the new versions of our old tracks they are on prgmusic.com

42Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Congrats, I haven't heard from you in awhile, so I was curious how this was going.

I wish I was signed Sad

edit: and liked the page

43Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 pm

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

Its going well. In a year we went from nothing to signed and playing almost constantly. Its also become about 90% self sufficient. So its not really costing anything to go play our shows pay for themselves.

44Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Are that many people attending?

45Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:50 pm

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

most nights yes? 30-50 people some nights its like 5 or 6. The venue that its normally 5 or 6 at has closed. Also our record deal is pretty sweet. The label is incredibly tiny but everything is split 50/50 and we own our music. The contract is set up so that if one side fails so does the other meaning if he wants to make money he's got to sell the shit out of us.

46Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

I don't get the 5 or 6 thing. What does that mean?

47Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:58 pm

xConcealerx

xConcealerx
New User

We had a venue run by a complete idiot. He'd charge such an insane about and book the worst bands. So when we played there generally of the 6 bands that showed up it would be just us. Once word of this got around crowds at that venue were reduced to 5 or 6 people. Thats what the 5 or 6 meant. also chatbox?

48Waking Up Dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Waking Up Dead Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Sure, I'll get in chat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum