Music Talk Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:50 am

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

These are actually 2 different albums released and packaged together. Since they're technically separate albums I'll do separate reviews of each disc.

First off is Stereo

Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Stereo300

After a few unsuccessful solo attempts, Paul Westerberg (dubbed the king of "Slacker Rock") decided to say goodbye to studios and session musicians and record and perform everything by himself in his basement. The recordings tend to be a big "crude" since he didn't fix any imperfections in his songs like the tape running out in the middle of the song. This happens in at least 2 of the songs on said album. Despite the DIY approach to the album the sound quality is actually quite nicer than you would expect.

The music itself is also nothing to expect anything less of. Despite recording everything by himself, his songs are nothing short of great. Many consider this album his best work since leaving The Replacements. Many of the songs on the album are quite folk rockesque which might remind you of Bob Dylan. The album is filled with the well loved "ballads" many renown Westerberg for. There is also a hidden track which is a garagey cover of the New Wave song Postcards from Paradise from Flesh for Lulu.

Now on to Mono

Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono 133897;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage

Now Mono is credited to his Grandpaboy alter ego. Grandpaboy is what Westerberg claims is his "hard rock" work, and it's mostly a reminder of old school blues rock and rock and roll and influenced by his idol Alex Chilton. These songs are more upbeat than Stereo and as the title suggests the songs are in Mono. This album sounds like Westerberg is trying to record an album he wanted to sound like it was recorded in the 60's with the rough recordings.

These songs are more catchy than in Stereo and the music feels less depressing than the Stereo counterpart. The songs would probably remind you of The Replacements album Pleased to Meet Me.

Stereo recommended tracks: Got You Down, Dirt to Mud, Let the Bad Times Roll

Mono recommended tracks: Silent Film Star, Eyes Like Sparks, Let's Not Belong Together

Stereo Rating 5/5

Mono Rating 4/5

2Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

Man, I'm a huge Replacements fan, but I've never listened to much of his solo stuff. I will check these out.

3Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Basically Stereo is like all of the slow Replacements ballads all in one album. Kind of like You're Getting Married.

The problem with his solo stuff is that it's not as available online (illegally) as the Replacements albums.

4Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:17 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

I usually pay for my Replacements stuff. I'll probably get it legally. They're one of the few artists I actually pay for.

5Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

I went to this CD place near my school and had them order it for me. I payed $13 for it, but I think it's worth it for a double album.

6Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:21 am

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

I would pay that for a single album. I'll definitely get this.

7Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:40 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

I say go for it, you won't regret your purchase.

Also I was listening to my Replacements vinyl collection

Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono 20120708153610

8Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:46 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

WANT

9Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

I should get a CD copy of Pleased to Meet Me...

10Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:35 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

I don't have any physical copies of their stuff. I bought a couple albums off of iTunes. I found a copy of "All Shook Down" at a used book store, but it was before I really got into them. I regret not buying it.

11Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

I buy physical first. This place near my college campus is cool and sells the non remastered versions of their albums. I mostly picked the non remastered version because they were slightly cheaper because the remastered ones have bonus tracks.

12Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

I found out about a cool record shop in my area a few days ago, and I plan on going there with one of my friends soon. She also likes the Replacements, so hopefully I can find some of their stuff.

13Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

That would be great, they only sell Pleased to Meet Me and Tim. I still want Hootenanny and Let it Be

14Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:52 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

What's weird, is that I've never heard of "All Shook Down" again since I saw it in that store. I would really like to get physical copies of "Tim" and "Let it Be," but any of their albums would be great.

15Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

That particular album isn't high on the "albums I should buy" list

16Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:04 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

If it's not too good, than it's a good thing I didn't buy it because I probably wouldn't have listened to any more of their stuff.

17Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Oh, you haven't listened to it?

I usually don't agree with most fans, but it's kind of a reason why it's near the bottom of the list of favorite Replacements albums.

18Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:22 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

Nope. I completely forgot it existed until I mentioned it. I like Pleased to Meet Me and Tim the most, despite Let it Be being everyone else's favorite.

19Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Tim's my personal favorite with Let it Be at #2.

20Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

Tim is my favorite too. "Here Comes a Regular" is my favorite song.

21Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

I'm either going for Left of the Dial or Answering Machine

22Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

The only song on Tim I don't like is "Waitress in the Sky" because I dislike the original.

23Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

I thought Waitress in the Sky was the original song since Paul is credited as the songwriter for it.

24Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:37 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

It is, but it's based on the song "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman something-or-other. I don't like original because I used to carpool with this kid I hated, and he would make me watch The Sandlot every other day. That song is right at the beginning of the movie.

25Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Empty Re: Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

OIC

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum