Music Talk Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weezer - Pinkerton.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Weezer - Pinkerton. Fri May 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Alrighty, the first review of the entire forum. I guess I gotta set an example here since I'm admin.

Weezer - Pinkerton. Pinkerton

When Pinkerton first came out on the scene it was hated and considered the worst album of the year. Now 16 years later it's considered one of the best albums of the decade, and in many fans opinions, either one of their best works, or their best works (though more would probably vote for the Blue Album).

What made this album so hated when it first came out, but loved now? Nowadays it's considered a big inspiration for the Emo scene, and many bands in general, artists like The Used, Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional and Manchester Orchestra were inspired by this album.

Now for the review itself:

Many may know Weezer for their happy go lucky powerpop party songs, but this album hardly contains that. This album is much darker and abrasive compared to most of their work, especially their recent albums. This album is also recorded a bit rougher than it's predecessor the Blue Album. In tracks you can still hear buzzing feedback from the guitars, and it doesn't sound as clean as other poppy albums. If you're a guitar fanatic, this is probably their most complex work on the guitar, songs like Fallen for you have 3 guitar parts, and several chord/key changes. Even Rivers says it's a tough song to perform live. This album is filled with razorblade guitars sawing throughout the songs giving it it's abrasive edge. There are a few melodic solos, but many can be a bit atonal or just droning notes. Rivers' singing isn't as clean on this as it is in other albums. You can hear the pain and sadness in his singings.

Though someone mentioned that the music still feels upbeat, but if you sit down and notice the lyrics, the lyrics are a different story. The album may be loosely based on madame butterfly, but for the most part this album is teeming with social isolation, failed love, and lots and lots of pain. Perfect for an Emo album. One could also compare this to Nirvana's In Utero.

My initial thought the first time I heard this album was negative. I was expecting songs like Island in the Sun and Beverly Hills, but I got songs like Getchoo and No Other One, but after consecutive listens I fondly enjoy the buildup in Fallin for You and the soft mellowness of Butterfly that concludes this album.

So I recommend to many fans of raw abrasive Alternative Rock or 90's Alternative fans in general. A much needed album in any Alternative geek's collection.

Grungie's rating 5/5

2Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:59 pm

debbie

debbie
Prime Minister
Prime Minister

I like this review. Write some more. Very Happy

3Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

I need to decide which album I need to fantasize over more.

4Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:19 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

Good review. I'll do one, so I'm actually a contributor.

5Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

You'd probably do a better job than I do since I've never written one before.

6Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:42 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

Neither had I before that A3 review.

7Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Well shit

8Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:36 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

Grungie wrote:Well shit

I didn't know what to say in a lot of it.

9Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

Well practice makes perfect, never starting won't help you grow

10Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

I'll make another soon enough. Probably on Operation: Doomsday by MF DOOM.

11Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:52 pm

Grungie

Grungie
Admin
Admin

I won't stop you.

12Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:56 pm

moscaespañol

moscaespañol
Sexy Coffee Guy
Sexy Coffee Guy

nastyn8 wrote:I'll make another soon enough. Probably on Operation: Doomsday by MF DOOM.
MF DOOM has such an underwhelming delivery.

13Weezer - Pinkerton. Empty Re: Weezer - Pinkerton. Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:31 pm

nastyn8

nastyn8
Board Addict
Board Addict

That's why I like him. He hasn't always been like that. Listen to KMD's Bl_ck B_st_rds.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum